badge

Sunday 24 January 2016

My Fantastico Mother is my Rock of Gibraltar

Everybody says that their mother is the most fantastic and inspirational person they meet and everybody is right. After all, mothers were made by God to be there for us when God couldn't be present! Every person has a different story related to their mother and I do too for saying thanks to my fantastic mother. 

My mother is a teacher by profession, primary school teacher to be exact. We are a simple middle class family in a small town in north India where society is conservative and attitudes are more or less set in everyone's minds. Everybody has their own way of dealing with situations and mostly they are dictated by traditions. A long time, we used to have a maid who had a 10 year old daughter. One day, she asked my mom for holiday leave for 5 days as her daughter was getting married! My mother was shocked as to how could she marry off her kid like that? She went with her maid to the groom's house and made them understand that not only is it illegal, it is also detrimental to their health in later life and by health she means both physical as well as mental and emotional health. A big fracas was created where some people even started abusing my mother for interfering with their traditions but she stood her ground and offered our maid to send her daughter to our house for free education till the age of 18 at least. With the help of my dad who also was present there, she managed to convince them to call off the wedding for some time and took both the children to her school and got them admitted under a scholarship for poor scheme. Today, they are both completing their education in college as they turned out to be quite bright students who got scholarships all their life, marriage is far from their minds as they have eyes set on good careers and our erstwhile maid still keeps in touch with my mother to take advice related to her family and life!

Having such an amazing mother is the best thing a child can hope for. With her actions,she time and again proved the importance of having courage, the spirit of nothing is impossible and the conviction to stand on one's principles in life,come what may. Being a teacher herself,she understands the importance of education foremost and never let anything come in the way of me and my education. When I became the first in my family to leave our home and city for a new job,she was the first one to get me brochures related to the new city I was coming to and all important information related to living,eating and roaming around here. In fact,my dad was quite adamant on me getting a job in that small town only but my mom stood her ground that I be allowed to live my life the way I want to, make my own path in life and follow it without any interference. I am lucky to have found my rock,my biggest support group in my mother who is always ready with a caring hug or a shoulder to lean on. A fantastico life needs someone like her to flourish!


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment