badge

Sunday 24 January 2016

Impact of Social Media on our real life

Trrrrrrring..

Woke up in the morning listening to this ghastly noise from my roommate's phone, it was just her boyfriend whatsapping her at 5 in the morning, in the process disturbing everyone in the home. Whatspp is an amazing tool but can't people have common sense on when to use and when not to use it? This gets even more annoying when 2 people in the same room are sending whatsapp messages to each other,something else my roommate and her boyfriend excel at doing...

Take another scenario. I went out for lunch with my office colleagues. On the lunch table in the restaurant,every single one of them was busy looking at their mobile screens, checking their facebook, twitter, whatsapp, hike messenger status etc. Nobody had the time to comment on food or enjoy it. On top of it,the only time they were interested in food is to take pictures of it to post on instagram...

I used to be the same way. When I had just entered college,facebook had just entered India and everyone was going crazy over it. Over like, shares, friendship requests and status updates. Soon I realized there is a world of twitter out there too and I got hooked to it. I found some of my old school friends there and we used to chat for hours. I also used to play candy crush for hours. In the process,I completely neglected my studies and even bunked many important lectures in my 2nd semester at college. The worst part was that I used to obsess over how many liked each of my pictures got or how many friends of mine shared a post I made and then I used to fight my friends as to why they did not like my posts! It turned into a disorder and my family had to disconnect the internet for a month to get me out of this state.

Today, when I see people obsessing over social media,I just wish that they would understand how important real life relationships are and not to ignore them at the cost of various apps or status updates..Not to mention, many lives are being lost foolishly in the selfie craze where people are taking selfies in the most dangerous situations. It is just another form of addiction if not managed correctly.

Special attention must also be paid to children and teenagers who are so lost in this game of social media that they are becoming unsocial in real life. They do not have developed social grace and manners, their health is affected by spending long hours staring at the social screen, posture is affected, body metabolism rate is affected and many psychological disorders like-early onset depression can make them a perfect target. I have learnt from my mistakes but we as a society must come together to accept the impact of social media on our real lives.

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment